Reducing Flood Risk
The Board and its predecessors have been very successful in reducing flood risk over the years, with a pedigree of over 75 years in the business. So successful in fact, that many people living and working in the area know nothing of the Internal Drainage Board and the vital work that we do to help prevent flooding and facilitate land use.
Our success is inevitably measured by what does not happen rather than what does happen, which means that if flooding does not occur frequently the value of what we do is sometimes questioned. But it is precisely because we continually maintain, improve and watch over the drainage system that we are actually able to reduce the risk of flooding.
Great strides forward have been made over the years: the system of drainage which was based on an individual’s liability to repair a particular stretch of drain gave way to the small Board centred on a particular drain or outfall. The coming of expensive machinery and modern methods resulted in their amalgamation into an organisation big enough to employ the professional staff and own the machinery and equipment essential to efficient drainage but without losing the intimate contact with the land, which is at the heart of good drainage.
The Broads (2006) Internal Drainage Board Order 2006 (Statutory Instrument 2006 No.773). This Order constituted Broads (2006) IDB (the current Board) in 2006 from an amalgamation of 3 Internal Drainage Boards:
- Broads Internal Drainage Board
- Lower Yare First Internal Drainage Board
- Lower Yare Fourth Internal Drainage Board
The Broads and Norfolk Rivers Internal Drainage Boards Order 2005 (Statutory Instrument 2005 No.429). This Order constituted the former Broads IDB in 2005 from an amalgamation of 6 Internal Drainage Boards:
- Happisburgh to Winterton Drainage Board
- Lower Bure, Halvergate Fleet and Acle Marshes Internal Drainage Board
- Middle Bure Internal Drainage Board (Pumped Area)
- Muckfleet and South Flegg Internal Drainage Board
- Repps, Martham and Thurne Internal Drainage Board
- Smallburgh Internal Drainage Board (Pumped Area)